10+ Ways To Cure Cabin Fever
February 28, 2019
Between the polar vortex, squalls, and below freezing temps, NYC can seem pretty drab after months of winter. Instead of staying put in your 350 square foot apartment, here are some ideas to get you out and about again and to cure your wintertime blues.
1. Solve Riddles and Crack the Code – Join David Kwong, renowned magician and NY Times crossword constructor, for an evening of mind-bending illusions at The High Line Hotel. Experience the mysterious world at the Riverbank Estate, where theater-goers will solve entertaining riddles and puzzles throughout the night. By popular demand, the show is extended to the end of March. Tickets here.
2. Get to Know Warhol – The Whitney’s Andy Warhol from A to B and Back Again closes at the end of March. Don’t miss the largest retrospective since 1989 of one of the most influential American artists of our time. Pro tip: the museum will be open seven days a week all month long so you can soak up as much time with Andy as you want.
3. Dinner + Theater or Dance – there’s nothing more NYC than catching dinner and a show. Check out Atlantic Theater, an award winning off-Broadway theater that has produced over 200 shows. If you’re looking for something different, head over to The Joyce Theater, the international leader in dance performances for an outstanding roster of dance companies. If you need an idea of where to grab a bite to eat, head here to scope out the best options.
4. Revisit your Intentions – How are those new year resolutions going so far? If being more intentional was one of your goals, then don’t miss The Rubin Museum’s new exhibit, The Power of Intention, that brings together examples of traditional and contemporary art to illuminate the relationship between our intentions, commitments, and actions.
5. Become a Wine Pro – Travel around the world sipping wine without leaving the big apple. Corkbuzz offers weekly classes on different wine regions across the globe so you can learn, taste and actually know what you’re talking about when it comes to wine.
6. Go for Aspen-like Vibes – Get cozy and stay awhile at the Winter Lodge by STK. Complete with fur, candlelight and seasonal food and cocktails, you’ll feel like you just returned from a day of skiing, while catching rooftop views of NYC.
7. Endorphins make you happy – Elle Woods said it best and we all know it to be true. Take a class of beat-bumping yoga at Y7, get toned and lean with Liftonic, ride to the beat at Soul Cycle or whatever you fancy at Equinox to make those winter blues disappear with a good sweat.
8. Jam Out at the New Chelsea Market Music Hall – From DJ’s to cabarets, this new music hall at Chelsea Market has it all.
9. Take a Staycation – Breakfast in bed anyone? Sometimes you just need a change of scenery complete with room service. With The Standard, The Jane, The High Line Hotel, Dream Downtown and The Gansevoort you can treat yourself to the ultimate winter staycation.
10. Whiskey 101 – You know and love Little West Wines for your after work bottle of choice, but did you know they host private tastings and classes too? Grab your pals and book a whiskey tasting session where you can chill in the private room below the store.
11. Take a winter walk on The High Line – Just because it’s cold doesn’t mean you have to stray away from being outside. Stroll along the park above the city and view the wintertime flora and fauna while falling in love all over again with New York.
12. Curl up by the fireplace – The district has no shortage of fireplaces to warm up with for the rest of the winter. Try The Jane Ballroom, The Top of the Standard, Starbucks Roastery, The Lately or the Maritime Hotel for all the hygge feels.