A small guide on how to shop small 2020
November 19, 2020
We love our neighbors and small businesses. For the third year in a row, we’ve teamed up with the Greenwich Village and #ShopBleecker to showcase our neighborhood’s small businesses and remind you to shop local for Small Business Saturday. It’s no secret that this year has been tough on small business owners across the city and now more than ever they need your support. During this holiday season, stop by your favorite mom and pops, indie shops, restaurants, and more to support local by spending at the places that make our city so unique!
ARTS + CULTURE
- Artechouse – Innovative digital art space dedicated to 21st century artists and audience. Curating interactive + immersive art exhibitions.
- CSTM Haus – A space designed for co-working, exhibitions, private events, and everything in between.
- Ivy Brown Gallery – Founded in 2001 the Ivy Brown Gallery represents and exhibits contemporary art of all mediums. Dedicated to supporting emerging and established artists, Ivy Brown takes her experience from the commercial arts world and brings it to the fine arts arena. Her commitment to art and the critical part it plays in our humanity is the grounding force behind the gallery.
- NuFrame Gallery – Picture framing shop on 8th Street.
- Manhattan Art Gallery – Custom framing and prints for sale.
- AYU – Home Furnishings and Accessories from around the world.
- Caserta Eyewear – Trendy eyewear boutique specialized in vintage and current brands. Read more about Caserta Eyewear and interview with Owner Paul Battiste here.
- Damselfly Flowers – Purveyors of fine fresh florals flown in daily from around the world, Damselfly Flowers reinvents the traditional retail experience through quality of freshness and ease of decision making with transportable bouquets and arrangements that move with grace and ease in the face-paced world we live in.
- Lucky Selectism – A family business that started with its own eyewear manufacturing plant and is delivering quality glasses with a more dynamic design.
- Misha Nonoo – designs the ultimate capsule wardrobe. Shop sustainable and woman-owned workwear, loungewear, and event pieces. Less Waste.
- Reinstein Ross – Goldsmiths specialize in hand-crafted fine jewelry. Fun fact: Watch the goldsmiths making jewelry onsite at the store on Gansevoort Street.
- Stephen F – Everyday luxury for men, limited run pieces.
- T.A. – A contemporary concept store that carries women’s clothing sourced from Tbilisi, London, Paris, Peru, Milan, South Korea, LA, New York and more. Read more about Owner Telsha Anderson here.
- Tziano Zoran – A private and limited run women’s and men’s collection designed in New York and made in Italy.
- B+S Zeeman – Family owned and operated wine retailer with wines from around the globe.
- Goods for the Study – From the same team that brought you McNally Jackson Bookstore, a thoughtfully curated stationery store complete with everything to make your home office one of a kind.
- Jewels Parlor – professional piercing studio with a large selection of fine body jewelry.
- Some Good Wine – Wine and craft spirits store located in the heart of Greenwich Village.
- St. Marks Wine + Liquor – Located in the heart of the East Village, St. Marks Wine and Liquor serves the community with specialty selected wines and spirits, offering a wide variety of wine, including organic and biodynamic wines, as well as spirits that are crafted right here in New York City and the tri-state region.
- Taj Jewelry – Carefully curated vintage jewelry shop offering repairs and cleanings.
- University Floral Design – University Floral Design offers an expansive array of floral arrangements to suit any occasion.
- Village Party Store – Shop for all your party needs from decorations to balloons to tableware at the Village Party Store!
- Village Vintner Wine + Liquor– Wine purveyor located on 6th Avenue with a unique, antique feel.
- Wagwear– Wagwear offers puppy chic clothing and accessories in the latest colors with fully-functional details and overall classic design one might find on the beaches of Martha’s Vineyard or the streets of New York City
- Waverly Wines + Spirits – This longtime wine + spirits shop offers a diverse bottle selection.
- ALALA – Women’s clothing store which carries luxury athleisure for powerful women.
- Faherty Brand – A sustainable, sunkissed clothing store.
- Frankies on Park – Women’s and girl’s clothing store with trendy, high-quality styles.
- Good Life – Comfortable and complementary clothing.
- Grayers – Clothing store for all your essentials.
- Il Bisonte – Bags and accessories made from beautiful leather in Italy
- Lingua Franca – Carries sustainably sourced, fair-trade cashmere sweaters.
- Margaux – Modern, comfortable shoes for every woman.
- Naadam – Carries sweaters made from the world’s best cashmere from Mongolia’s Gobi Desert.
- Sarah Pacini – Exclusive boutiques and shop-in-shops.
- Slightly Alabama – Specializes in leather accessories.
- Something Navy – Clothing store that features timeless staples and everyday elevated wardrobe pieces.
- Tarin Thomas – Versatile, well-crafted timeless jewelry.
FOOD + DRINK
- Banter – Cozy cafe with a patio featuring elevated, health-conscious fare, plus espresso & select cocktails.
- Chelsea Market – A collection of small business vendors in one marketplace. Support small business owners when you visit the market and eat delicious cuisine from all over the world or head down to Chelsea Local for the collection of some of the best mom and pop grocers in New York.
- Feast on Us – catering and a daily rotating takeout menu of sandwiches, entrees, salads, sides, desserts, beverages, salad bar, coffee and teas.
- High Street on Hudson – Currently a pop up seafood + cocktail bar SANDBAR on Hudson – a neighborly collaboration between High Street and Brunetti Pizza across the way.
- Kobrick Coffee – Hand-roasted in Small Batches by Four Generations of Kobricks served at 24 Ninth Ave.
- Simo Pizza – Fast-casual pizzeria bringing New Yorkers to Napoli in 90 seconds.
- Terremoto Coffee – Single-source, fair-trade coffee made in a gold-plated machine, plus French pastries in a snug spot.
- The Brass Monkey – The OG of Meatpacking, pub with an extensive beer selection + a roof deck.
- Three Owls Market – Modern deli & marketplace: the best prepared foods + sandwiches, wine, coffee, roast chicken, epic pastries, and groceries.
- 8th Street Wine Cellar – 8th Street Wine Cellar provides a naturally private hideaway for the warm and intimate atmosphere that lends itself perfectly for a comfortable and cozy spot to enjoy some wonderful boutique wines and small plates of cheeses, meats, oysters, or even pig’s in blankets from the globally inspired menu.
- Agata + Valentina– Artisian Italian grocery equip with homemade pasta, fresh produce, and ready to eat meals.
- Amelie – Amélie wine bar has become one of the most successful wine bars in the city, attracting an eclectic crowd of people every night of the week. Enjoy delicious wines and small plates with a French flair.
- Analogue – Analogue features elegant cocktails with an extensive collection of great bourbons and scotches and an extensive wine and beer selection.
- Arts + Crafts Beer Parlor–Arts and Crafts Beer Parlor is the antithesis of a sports bar; rather, it is an extension of your living room, a place to entertain guests with quality conversation in a warm atmosphere over a pint of great American Craft Beer or a glass of fine wine.
- Aunt Jake’s – Enjoy many different styles of fresh pasta and a variety of delicious sauces to create your own combinations, as well as pasta specials, salads, appetizers, and Italian inspired entrees.
- Blossom on University – Blossom is a vegan restaurant group in New York City that was established to creatively bring vegan dining to a fresh, new and delicious level.
- Culture: An American Yogurt Co. – Culture An American Yogurt Company manufactures fresh strained yogurt and frozen yogurt. Their goal is to bring you fresh yogurt with unbelievable artisanal toppings in a way that will provide you with an unforgettably delightful and healthy experience.
- Dainobu – Japanese deli and grocery with a wide variety of both specialty and prepared foods from across Asia.
- Eva’s Restaurant– A health food restaurant specializing in organic Mediterranean cooking which opened in 1978. Vegetarians and protein lovers alike will love the delicious selection of healthy dishes such as their excellent hummus or babaganoush platters, homemade falafel, baked tofu, and broccoli pizza or their stuffed grape leaves.
- La Contenta Oeste – Authentic Mexican restaurant with French accents now serving brunch.
- La Panineria – An authentic panini bar with a taste of Italy in every bite serving coffee.
- Lena – Sip organic coffee and munch on traditional French pasties by day at Cafe Léna. Return to the 8th Street staple after 5 PM for delicious wines and entrees straight from France.
- Newsbar – This counter-serve coffee shop offers espresso drinks, baked goods, sandwiches + magazines.
- Olio e Piu – Olio Pizza e Piu brings the West Village an authentic Neapolitan trattoria and enoteca.
- Ono Bowls – Bringing real, clean bowls, juices and smoothies to the East Coast, just like the ones in Hawaii.
- South of the Clouds – Focusing on Yunnan rice noodles and regional small bites.
- Wicked Jane – 8th Street’s newest fine dining establishment brings a modern spin to traditional American cuisine
- 232 Bleecker – Delicious eatery with a wood-burning hearth and a focus on fresh vegetables and pasta.
- Carmine St. Beers – A staple of the beer scene with many tasty craft beers.
- Cocu – The best roasted chicken.
- Li-Lac Chocolate – Freshly made delicious chocolate.
- Manousheh – Warm bakery in the West Village that specializes in Lebanese food.
- Murray’s Cheese – Artisan cheeses and meats, offers catering and virtual classes to get to know your cheese.
- Omakase Room by Masser – Serves delicious sushi that you can see be made.
- Panca – Serves the freshest Peruvian food with authentic ingredients.
- Porto Rico Importing – Serves the finest coffees and teas in the world
- Spirits of Carmine St – Carries champagne, wine and liquor for your next party or relaxed night in.
- The Doughnut Project – Warm, delicious, freshly made specialty doughnuts.
- Gina Le Salon – An independently run woman-owned hair salon.
- LoveChild – Holistic support from preconception to pregnancy, postpartum and beyond.
- LIFTONIC – A fresh alternative in a fitness world dominated by high-intensity cardio-based workouts.
- Martial Vivot – 1st men’s salon in NYC with world-renowned stylists.
- TribeTokes – Wholesale CBD Vape oils, Cartridges, Batteries, Disposables & CBD Vape Pens, + a CBD beauty line.
- Ansonia Pharmacy – Neighborhood pharmacy that has been serving the community since 1933. Ansonia carries a careful selection of high-quality bath & beauty products in addition to all common pharmacy products.
- Barre3 – Combining the best of ballet, yoga and pilates, Barre 3 workouts focus on a unique combination of dynamic movement and isometric holds.
- Broadway Apothecary – An independent pharmacy founded by a group of like-minded individuals with decades of experience in the pharmacy sector bringing ease to prescription fillings and selecting wellness products.
- C.O. Bigelow Chemists – C.O. Bigelow has remained true to its traditions, family-owned and operated since 1838, transporting customers to a time and place of personalized attention and customized formulas. The selection of products are the best from all over the world- formulas that work, have stood the test of time, and are just plain fabulous. Rock & Roll legends, prominent personalities, starlets, and the colorful society of the Village lend themselves to the unique shopping experience at this landmark pharmacy.
- Devonshire Optical – Charmingly-curated eyewear purveyor.
- Eva’s Supplements – Eva’s Supplements and vitamins with same day delivery within NYC, storefront located in rear of Eva’s Restaurant at 11 W. 8th Street.
- Karine Kazarian – One of Manhattan’s top estheticians has opened her own practice in a beautifully restored second floor loft space on 8th Street. Working exclusively with the Biologique Recherche line of cosmetic products, Karine will leave you feeling refreshed and rejuvenated.
- LaVaan Dental Spa – LaVaan is a spa for your teeth. Get your cleaning and whitening needs fulfilled without the threat of a traditional dentist’s office.
- LeMino Salon – Le Mino Salon is committed to providing the highest service to their customers, in a beautiful and elegant space. Le Mino salon is led by owner and lead stylist Minoru Obata, mino for short.
- Lifethyme Natural Market– A natural foods grocer with a large selection of wellness and beauty supplies.
- New Vibe Yoga – New Vibe Yoga provides a welcoming and safe space to newcomers interested in Ashtanga Vinyasa yoga practices.
- Nimble Fitness – Popular personal training gym offering a wide range of custom programs from corrective exercise to elite performance, including New York City’s premier TRX training facility.
- Professional Threading Studio – A professional threading studio that offers a wide variety of services including threading, waxing, henna tattoo, lash extensions and more.
- Salon V – Founded in 2004, this stylish hair salon recently relocated to a chic and airy loft space on 8th Street.
- Vada Spa – Popular salon with a full menu of services; offering laser hair removal, waxing, hair and salon services, massage, skin care and more.
- Hemped NYC – For all your CBD needs, from oils to gummies.
- Vidov Salon – Salon that offers hair, makeup, waxing and wedding services.
- Village Apothecary – Community pharmacy that covers all your needs for hair, nail, oral, skin and baby care. They also carry fragrances, candles and homeopathic products.