2021 Memorial Day in MTPK
May 27, 2021
The city is back open and warm weather is here. There’s plenty to celebrate over the long weekend. Here’s 5 things to do in Meatpacking for Memorial Day, plus the Meatpacking team’s Staff Picks on what to do.
- Visit Little Island – The long awaited park on Hudson River is now open! Free reservations are needed from 12pm onward. More info here.
- Dream Beach Reopens – Nothing says the start of summer more than the Dream Beach reopening. Snag a seat or cabana here.
- Catch a sunset at a rooftop bar – Sip on something nice and watch the sunset set over the skyline. The Standard’s Le Bain, The Gansevoort Hotel Rooftop, RH, Brass Monkey, and PHD are open so you can take it all in.
- See Day’s End – Don’t miss David Hammon’s Day’s End, a monumental public sculpture now permanently on view in Hudson River Park across from the Whitney Museum.
- Brunch – It wouldn’t be a long weekend in the city without brunch. A few spots for brunch in Meatpacking are: The Standard Grill, Catch, Fig + Olive, Banter, Sandbar on Hudson, and more. See the full list of who’s serving up in the neighborhood here.
Meatpacking Staff Picks for Memorial Day
Not to brag, but the Meatpacking staff are experts on anything to do in the neighborhood. Here’s what the Meatpacking staff suggests for a 10/10 long weekend.
“Catch a buzz with an oat milk cortado from Kobrick then head to Hudson River Park to wave at Little Island and see Days End, cross back to go to the Whitney to see some favorites from the permanent collection, followed by the Gem Lettuce salad with Sancerre on the roof at RH or just some martinis at the Standard Grill, depending on my mood. Of course shopping would be involved, too.” – Jeffrey LeFrancois, Executive Director
“Catch up with pre-covid friends with Oyster Happy Hour and wine at the Lobster Place. After that, I’d grab a new fragrance on Fragrance Row. I’d also recommend checking out either Fort Gansevoort or White Columns.” – Tiffany Griffin, Director of Marketing, Events, and Partnerships
“I’d start off with Brunch at Banter, followed by a little retail therapy at T.A. or Caserta Eye, then an afternoon martini at Pastis. I’d end the day with a sunset view at the new Gansevoort Rooftop. If it rains over the weekend you can find me at Helen’s enjoying the all day Happy Hour with a group of (vaccinated) friends.” – Cate Roepke, Digital Media + Community Engagement Manager
“Start with breakfast at Three Owls Market, head to Posman’s Books to grab a book to read on the plaza while eating Seed + Mill soft serve, finish the day with Simo Pizza and a walk on the High Line.” – Julia Bailey, Event + Programming Coordinator