International Women’s Day
March 5, 2021
International Women’s Day, a global day celebrating the achievements of women, is almost here. We’ve rounded up a list of women-owned businesses in Meatpacking and our picks for ways to support your neighborhood favorites and to celebrate International Women’s Day on March 8 and all month long.
- TribeTokes – A “clean CBD” brand that creates products with an elevated aesthetic for the next generation cannabis consumer. Read about TribeTokes founder Dege here and watch TribeTokes CMO Kym B’s Meatpacking Unpacked episode here.
- T.a.– A contemporary concept store that carries women’s clothing sourced from Tbilisi, London, Paris, Peru, Milan, South Korea, LA, New York, and more. We interviewed Telsha right as her store opened last year in the middle of the pandemic, read the interview here.
- Pearl River Mart– Iconic NYC destination for Asian-inspired home goods, fashion, snacks, and everything in between. Joanne Kwong, President of PRM, gave us a heartfelt history of Pearl River Mart and shared her experience as a small business owner here. You can also watch her Meatpacking Unpacked episode with NYC + Co’s President Fred Dixon here.
- O + M Salon– Cult Australian haircare brand offering cuts, colors, and blow-outs using ammonia-free products.
- Eberjey – Eberjey’s soft loungewear and PJs are what dreams are made of. The store on Gansevoort Street is Eberjey’s only NYC location.
- Saxelby Cheesemongers– Purveyors of fine American farmstead cheese. Read about Saxelby’s owner Anne Saxelby and her new book on cheese here.
- Sandbar on Hudson – Founded by veteran restaurateur Ellen Yin, High Street on Hudson re-opened in 2020 as SANDBAR ON HUDSON featuring seasonal cocktails and local seafood.
- Ivy Brown Gallery– Exhibiting established and emerging artists of all mediums. Ivy has been in the Meatpacking District as a resident and business owner for decades. Watch her Meatpacking Unpacked Episode here as she discusses the changes she’s seen throughout the years in Meatpacking.
- Intersect by Lexus– A cultural space that merges innovative programming, culinary creativity, and masterful design. Read about the chef in residence is Chef Mashama Bailey here.
- Three Owls Market– All-day eatery, the marketplace, and wine bar. Read about Three Owls and Suzanne Dumaine, chef + founder, here.
- Misha Nonoo – Chic and sustainable fashion for women on the go. Staple wardrobe pieces for the modern woman.
- Gina Le Salon– Small space with big talent, bringing you the best in cut, color, styling, and keratin services. We highlighted Gina Le for our Small Business Saturday series here.
- Fabrique Bakery– Sweedish pastry and coffee house with sweet + savory options, famous rye, and regular sourdough bread.
- Zach and Zoë Sweet Bee Farm – Honey with superfoods and all things bees. Read more about the brand here.
- alice + olivia – Founded by Stacy Bendent, Alice + Olivia is a women’s fashion brand that juxtaposes whimsical and flirty with sexy and sophisticated. We’re proud to have Alice + Olivia headquartered in Meatpacking as well as their store on 14th Street!
- DVF– Founded by Diane von Furstenberg in 1972, the smart luxury brand for women in charge is renowned for its iconic wrap dress and signature prints. DVF has been a longtime staple of the Meatpacking District and we’re proud to have the brand headquartered in the neighborhood as well as the flagship store.
Special Happenings for Women’s Month in Meatpacking
Seed + Mill
For the second year in a row, Seed + Mill, a women-owned artisanal food brand, partnered with Mini Melanie, a former Chelsea Market tenant, on limited-edition halva cake truffles. Only available through March 31st, these sweet treats are made with artisanal halva and are gluten-free. The cake truffles come in white chocolate cardamom halva cake truffle and dark chocolate coffee halva cake truffles.
After the year we’ve had, you deserve a drink. The Standard will be providing all women who visit The Standard Grill with a complimentary glass of champagne or a substitute for those who prefer something non-alcoholic. They’ve also created a custom-made drink for the day, 16 Gem & Bolt Mezcal, Elderflower, Blueberry, Cucumber, Lime, with 100% of the proceeds going to the New York Women’s Foundation Majestic Expression.
Chelsea Market Baskets
Looking for a gift that celebrates companies owned and operated by women and features delightful treats made by local women — Chelsea Market Baskets has you covered. Grab the Local Woman basket that features food from six women-owned businesses including Chelsea Market staples Seed + Mill, Amy’s Bread, and Fat Witch Bakery.
Cheese lover? Grab Anne Saxelby’s book The New Rules of Cheese for a quirky and informative guide that is made up of 52 short essays about cheese, cheesemaking, and cheese appreciation. There’s a bit of cheese history, cheesemaking 101, as well as tips on how to buy, store and serve cheese, how to cook with cheese, and how eating cheese can help save the planet! You can buy a signed copy on their website, saxelbycheese.com. Read more about Anne here.
Chelsea Wine Co.
Chelsea Wine Co. is offering virtual wine tastings honoring women winemakers and 10% off wine using code: WOMEN10.