Last Taste of Summer 2019
August 28, 2019
Though the sun is setting earlier and the temperature is getting cooler, we are still hanging on to those summer days! Before fall makes its way in, be sure to soak up all that Vitamin D here in the Meatpacking District. Here’s top ten things you must do before sweater-weather:
1. Welcome back Pastis on the patio – The all time neighborhood hangout, Pastis, is back and better than ever. Snag a table out on the patio while the weather is still warm for the best people watching in NYC.
2. Go to The Beach without leaving the city: Located at the Dream Downtown, The Beach is the perfect late-summer escape. Patrons can enjoy the glass-bottom pool, sandy “beach”, cafe, and full bar offering seasonal cocktails like frosé, lavender Arnold Palmers, and summer time spritzes. Private cabanas are also available to rent, making it the ideal spot for a daytime party. Grab a day pass for $65 and have the ultimate summer outing.
3. Scoop up: Miami’s Dasher + Crank took up residency this summer outside of the Gansevoort Hotel and has been the pop-up scoop shop we’ve all needed this summer. Catch them while you can over the long weekend, they’ll be gone after Labor Day.
4. No pool, on the plaza – The only pool rules here include no empty cocktail glasses, no empty stomachs, and no diving — because there’s No Pool. Check out the Standard’s No Pool for the best of summer activities like clam bakes, blanket bingo, and dive in movies.
5. Catch the Biennial – Only a few weeks left to see the 2019 Whitney Biennial and get caught up in what’s happening in the art world today. The exhibition features seventy-five artists and collectives working in painting, sculpture, installation, film and video, photography, performance, and sound that are not to be missed. Since it’s summer, head up to the roof and grab a glass of wine after viewing art. Pro tip: Fridays are pay-as-you wish from 7 – 9:30pm.
6. Iced coffee all the way: Summer in New York is cold brew season so drink up the icy goodness while you can. Kobrick offers an iced lavender honey latte that is sure to please the taste buds and cool you down at the same time. Their selection of coffee cocktails are also a nice way to get your caffeine kick shaken, stirred or on the rocks. If you’re following the no-straw movement, pick up a reusable mug from Think Coffee and fill it up with your favorite iced beverage for the rest of the summer and the year by going green.
7. Summer Aperitivo Hour – New to the neighborhood Three Owls serves up an Italian take on happy hour with bar bites like negroni-cured salmon and summer drinks such as sangria rosado + vermouth spritzes. True to the Italian tradition, you can expect a surprise snack from the kitchen with your drinks. Cin cin!
8. Escape to a lush oasis – An out-of-body summer cocktail experience awaits at The High Line Hotel’s tropical front garden, where the spirit of the late Ingo Swann, the world’s foremost psychic, comes to life. Ponder distant cosmic entities as you sip eclectic cocktails inspired by Swann, including the Stargate, the Purple Fable and the Remote View. Ingo’s also offers frozen Negronis, chilled rosé and other classics.
9. Rooftops on repeat – It goes without saying that summer is rooftop season. The neighborhood is packed full of spots with great views. Check out Brass Monkey, STK Rooftop, Catch, Gansevoort Hotel, Top of the Standard, and RH rooftop to catch a breeze, view, and a buzz.
10. Workout al fresco – Only two more sessions left for #thesweatsessions! Be sure to register for free, outdoor fitness classes held at Hudson River Park’s 14th Street Park. On September 10, we’re having a grand finale sendoff for the summer with two classes and a panel at Samsung 837.