What to do for the long weekend
January 15, 2021
Well, 2021 has already felt like a whole year itself and we’re only three weeks in. If you’re looking to get out of your apartment, here’s some fun ideas for things to do in the neighborhood to enjoy over the long weekend ahead!
1. See #BomboraHouse – Make your way to the district this weekend to see Tom Fruin’s Bombora House located on Gansevoort Plaza.
2. The Office Activation – If you’re an Office fan, stop by Chelsea Triangle (between 14th and Ninth) this weekend to see a giant snowman inspired by The Office.
3. Catch the final weeks of Vida Americana at the Whitney – don’t miss the final weeks of Vida Americana at the Whitney Museum on view until January 31st. As New York Times said, it’s “stupendous, complicated, and lands right on time.”
4. Sit and stay awhile at Chelsea Market – Chelsea Market has expansive outdoor seating with heated private booths for you to enjoy your market finds safely. We recommend cozying up to a bowl of Very Fresh Noodles, grabbing a margarita and fish taco from Los Mariscos, or snagging hot, nutella stuffed beignets from Tiny Feast.
5. Catch a movie at Flix in the Forest at the Standard – Cozy up with blankets, hot drinks and bites, and complimentary popcorn as you catch a flick outside at The Standard. See the lineup for this weekend and make a reservation here.
Photo credit: Julia Gillard for the New York Times
6. See Loro Piana’s latest storefront in collaboration with artist Marie Watt – Loro Piana reopened last month with an exhibition of commissioned work by Oregan based artist Marie Watt. New York Times’ T Magazine named the exhibition the top thing to see this weekend. It’s only on view until January 31, so catch it while you can.
7. Eat something warm – It’s chilly out there, so warm up with some piping hot food to keep you satiated. Here’s three dishes we recommend trying this weekend in the neighborhood:
- Buddakan’s Hot Pot – Simmering chui chow chili broth, is just what the doctor ordered! Customize it by adding in your own mix of toppings like chicken wontons, fresh vegetables, shrimp, or pepper beef.
- Pastis’ Onion Soup Gratinée – Bubbling and comforting, this is all you need to eat in the cold winter months.
- Three Owls’ Grilled Cheese – This cheesy masterpiece is filled with two types of melted cheese (gruyere and cheddar) and has a caramelized shallot jam. It’ll bring some much needed joy and warmth to the dreary month of January.
8. Grab your own Greenhouse at Catch Steak – Catch Steak just launched their greenhouses on the patio so you can dine in your own private, heated bubble. Reservations here.
9. Have some retail therapy – Take advantage of the sales on sales in the neighborhood. Here’s some sales to note over the weekend:
- rag + bone – Save an additional 20% off on selected Menswear and Womenswear that are already part of the end of season sale.
- AllSaints– Shop the AllSaints End of Season Sale and receive up to 50% off select styles in-store.
- Belstaff– enjoy up to 50% off selected lines in-store.
10. Try a new coffee-infused craft cocktail from the Siren Bar – Starbuck’s Roastery Reserve has a new menu of coffee focused cocktails to enjoy on their heated outdoor patio. There’s a Cold Fashioned, with Whiskey Barrel Aged Cold Brew that is hand crafted with the Roastery’s Guatemalan beans that are aged in Knob Creek Bourbon. You even have the option to have it smoked.
11. Get your beauty fix – Sephora is hosting several gifts with purchase events this weekend as well as a giveaway (while supplies last) on Monday, January 17th. Kiehl’s is handing out branded hand sanitizers to every customer with any purchase (there’s no minimum purchase). You can never have enough hand sanitizer these days.